Saturday, September 12, 2009

Damn Business Plan

Honestly, nothing will test your mettle in the pre-startup stages more than a business plan. They can be anywhere between 10 and forever pages, depending on the scope of your business. And when you think you are done, you are never done; it is a living document. But there are advantages in having to analyze every aspect of your venture. Completing a business plan not only helps an individual see pitfalls, but can help you realize the full potential of a business. On the other hand, it can scare the shit out of you. Many of us don't really know what goes into running a business, the amount of time, nor true risk. Personally, the whole process drove me crazy. I have a few compulsions, one being that things have to be done perfectly. I see everything as an extension of me. This does not bode well in situations such as writing a business plan. At times, it was agonizing, but the process helped me see the complete business. Ultimately, I ended up with 21 pages; cover page, table of contents, executive summary, business description, marketing/sales analysis, industry analysis, competitive analysis, operations plan, management summary, funding request, and 3 year projections. I rewrote this plan over and over, dove me insane. Ultimately, it ended up in the hands of a loan officer who praised me for its thoroughness, insanity has its benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment